Tuesday, April 22, 2008

All sorts of great things

We've had a very full several days! It sure is a blessing to be living out here in the midst of nature. Wonderful! Saturday we spent a couple of hours participating in a clean-up drive of the road we live on, and then Jon built a chicken tractor while David and I planted most of our garden. For those of you wondering what a chicken tractor is, it's a pen with no bottom. You let the chickens eat and fertilize in one place for a day or so and then move it over a section. You just keep on moving them around and they keep the grass green and free of weeds. :)



I don't have pictures of these, but yesterday morning after Jon left and while David was still asleep I saw four Indigo Buntings at the edge of the backyard!! I was so excited! Then, David and I sat outside to eat lunch and saw two Summer Tanagers in the big pecan tree at the back of the yard. WOW! Later in the day, David went fishing and came running home to tell me that the Canadian Geese who've been hanging around the lake had had babies! So all three of us walked over and enjoyed watching the new family for a while.



Yesterday we also got to see the rat snake our neighbor found, as well as the largest black widow spider I've EVER seen!





Then, in the evening we had the cutest little tree frog on the kitchen window! I couldn't resist taking its picture.



With all these exciting things happening outside, the inside of my house is a mess! What's more, the weather is supposed to be this nice for the rest of the week. Maybe I'll do house work when it rains on Saturday...

4 comments:

Linda said...

What a great outdoors adventure you've had in your own back yard. The chicken tractor idea -- now THAT'S interesting. No weeding, huh? I could go for that!
;-D Last spring I found a black widow about the size of the one you found on our back door -- absolutely beautiful, but had to be done in because she ran into the house and was heading under the sofa.

Leslie said...

Ew, I wouldn't want to find one on the backdoor or in the house! They really are beautiful, but so poisonous! Yikes.

Cherylann said...

Sounds like a very interesting day. I miss the country sometimes

Christie said...

Chicken tractors rock!! I used one for several years, until our subdivision started building up and got too "civilized" for rooster noise. Who was it that said "when it gets so you can see the smoke from your neighbor's chimney, it's time to move!"? That's how I feel now.