Thursday, February 21, 2008

A burst of beagles, lady bugs and the flu



Despite the lady bugs, actually Multicolored Asian Lady Beetles (which are no longer so cute!) we are still enjoying our new home in the country. I'm just learning to keep things covered, and to check anything that is out on the counter before either putting it away or serving it. :) The picture is of the window in the laundry room.

Saturday morning we were in various stages of getting ready for the day when we heard the most unusual noise coming from outside! I looked out the kitchen window, and there on their way through the yard were at least a dozen beagles, baying and sniffing, and following a scent. I yelled for Jon and David to come look out the window, and we watched the "burst of beagles" as they zigged and zagged their way through our yard, the neighbor's yard and into the woods behind. As they disappeared here came another one- slightly more portly than the rest. He paused, sniffed, looked confused and then heard the rest of them. He made a bee-line for the woods and followed them in. How unusual!! We were left feeling that you just never know what might happen when you move 8 miles away! :) Unfortunately I didn't have the presence of mind to grab my camera.

We've had a quiet week or so, otherwise, because David has had the flu. After a weekend of a fever, I finally took him to the doctor on Monday afternoon. He confirmed my thinking, and sent us home to recuperate. Today all that is left is a cough, thank goodness! Click on the image for a larger view.

4 comments:

Kathy King said...

I love this blog Les! The beagle story is so cute. Hope David is better.
K

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

Love the "burst of beagles"!! My favorite breed of dog, and a great story...

Your doctor visit sketches look soooo familiar...

Anonymous said...

Lady bugs are attracted to the color white, so you could try painting the ceiling a darker color.

Leslie said...

Thank you, Kathy and Kate! I appreciate it. :) I'm sorry the doctor sketches look familiar, Kate- we don't want them to be TOO familiar, do we? I'd rather not have to go again for a while.

Carolyn, how interesting about the color white. I didn't know that- thank you!